26 November 2007

christmas boycott

here it is: an official christmas boycott. i am not embracing the materialistic crap of the holiday season anymore. there will be no agonizing over gifts, no buying crap no one wants or will ever use. i will not stand in line, be forced to park in a lot 2 states away, fight a crowd full of hicks bussed in from Iowa. this holiday shopping crap has gotten to such a bullshit level, i am now refusing to take part in it anymore.

so here's what i'm going to do for the Christmas Season 2007:

1. i will donate money to a charity. i may decide to donate a certain amount to different charities in specific people's names, or i may just give one lump sum to one charity with my name on it (or everyone's name i wish to include).

2. i will make baked goods and give them as gifts. the only shopping i may do may come from containers needed to house these baked goods.

3. i will go charity stores and purchase cute little gifts that close friends may enjoy. one shop i had been to a while back had a ton of really old, cool, small frames. buying some of these and putting my favorite pic of me and a buddy will make a nice, nostalgic gift.

4. i will make some gifts. i was thinking that kitty catnip toys would be nice, since almost everyone i know has a cat and i always tend to leave out the fuzzy members of the family on the holidays.

the point of the holidays is to be with loved ones, reconnect with family, enjoy the festiveness and spiritualness of this time of year. christmas isn't about how much loot you get or how much loot you give. it's about showing the people in your life that you love and appreciate them. and you don't need a lot of money to do that.

you don't need to give expensive gifts to prove how much you love someone, which i think is what we're getting away from with these "doorbuster" deals and sales and store flyers choking our mailboxes. donate some food, clothing, time to the poor and needy. volunteer at a soup kitchen. make ornaments by hand. sit down with a close friend or sibling and go through old photo albums. call up someone you haven't talked to in a while. teach your kids that the holidays shouldn't be about who gets that PS3 under the tree on the 25th.

first on my list: donating my long, long hair to Locks of Love.

ps. and feel free to boycott giving me expensive gifts, too. i'm not expecting to boycott and still get tons of goodies.

6 Comments:

Blogger Senor Beavis said...

The jewelry commercials are the worst. Apparently the fact that I'm poor means I'll die alone. Although I think they're actually MUCH more insulting to women.

Donate to National Runaway Switchboard, only because I'm biased.

Side rant, why should I be responsible for covering a shift I was assigned despite telling someone twice that I'd be out of town? If I'd done it, that would have been freaking legendary, but I didn't. That's not my problem. You fix your own mistakes.

10:59 AM, November 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so...does that mean you're not getting me a ps3 this year?

crap.

6:36 AM, November 28, 2007  
Blogger Me said...

Amen! Look into donating to Heifer.org. We did that instead of giving my parents gifts last year.

7:35 PM, November 29, 2007  
Blogger Sam said...

I always do #2 and 4 ( not capnip but making something) and now I have K~ helping lol I agree though we tend to get away from what the holidays are supposed to be about!

8:14 AM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger geekgrrl said...

when you first told me this, i thought it was pretty cool...now i'm starting to feel a little guilty, in a non-passive-aggressive way. i agree 100% with everything you've said. it's making me rethink what to do this year.

one thing, though.. i respectfully request no baked goods over here. if you pawn off some cupcakes on me while i'm dieting, it's your ass.

12:08 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Senor Beavis said...

Apologies for the cross-blog conversation, but to answer your question, no. That's just the way the song goes.

11:55 AM, December 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker